Friday 17 March 2017

CELLY CAMPELLO discography


Claribalte Passsos' review of Celly Campello's 2nd album at his column at 'Correio da Manhã' - 2nd July 1960 is amazing because he actually praises Celly and the album. Most Brazilian journalists were from the 'old school' and very conservative in their opinions. They hated songs translated from American originals but in this particular review Claribalte seems to have forgotten this maxim and saw only the bright side of the album. Compare this review with the one he wrote a few weeks earlier about Wilson Miranda's 2nd album for Chantecler.
'Correio da Manhã', 8 April 1960; Claribalte's review of Wilson Miranda's 2nd album is completely contradictory if you compare it with that of Celly Campello's three months later. He claims Fred Jorge to be the 'worst song-translator Brazil has even known'. Well, Fred Jorge wrote most of Celly Campello's material in 'Broto certinho'. How could have Claribalte changed opinion so radically in so short a time? Actually, most journalists who reviewed records didn't care to make any sense at all. They knew they had to 'write something every night'... and they did not care whether it made sense or not.
Radiolandia #315, 1st May 1960; 'Banho de lua' (Tintarella di luna) shot to #1 the first week of its release. 
Radiolandia #339, 1st November 1960; Celly & Tony in action at Radiolandia #337, 1st Oct.1960.
'Correio da Manhã', 18 December 1960 with the latest releases from Odeon: 'Eu vi mamãe beijar Papai Noel' (I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus) b/w 'Jingle bell rock' in 78 rpm format and 45 rpm vynil form.

One woman man 

You're roaming and running around, you're winking at every girl in town
you'e wearing a heart made of stone, well, honey, you're gonna wind up alone.

I'm looking for a one-woman man, flirting and cheating I won't stand
I've always been a one-man woman and so I want a one-woman man

You're playing a game that's unking, well, honey, this girl isn't blind.
(spoken) Now you're fooling and you're telling lies, well, maybe you're jus better than wise.

You're going to find out that running about it's a game that never pays
I love you so but I'll let you go if you don't start mending your ways

Take warning and hear my advice, you're treading on very thin ice.
(spoken) Oh baby, you know, I've said it before and darling, I'm gonna say it just once more:

I'm looking for a one-woman man, flirting and cheating I won't stand
I've always been a one-man woman and so I want a one-woman man
I want a one-woman man, I want a one-woman man... 

written by Howard Greenfiel & Neil Sedaka
recorded by Bet E.Martin for Epic Records
'Flamengo rock' b/w 'Trem do amor' (Train of love) was Celly Campello's last single for Odeon before she retired in May 1962, to get married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment